Superintendent's Weekly Memo - December 1, 2023
Dear Mustang Families,
December is here, marking the beginning of the holiday season for many different religious denominations and cultures. For example, many Jewish people will begin the observance of Hanukkah for eight nights beginning this Thursday evening. We wish our Jewish community a Happy Hanukkah!
Here in Medford, many of our students and community members are working hard at fundraisers, food drives and other charitable efforts in the generous spirit of the season! We encourage you to participate in the multiple events that support our schools and students, if your schedule permits.
The 2nd Annual Frosty Village Craft Fair will be held this Saturday, December 2 from 11:00am-2:00pm in the Missituk Elementary Cafetorium. Thanks to the Missituk Elementary PTO for hosting this fun event!
The Medford Band is selling Christmas trees and holiday wreaths over the next two weekends. This fundraiser is a personal favorite of mine. The Band sells beautiful trees and wreaths at a great value. Come out early and you will leave happy! On December 2, 3, 9 and 10 from 10:00am-4:00pm, you can buy a tree or wreath at the Medford High School parking lot to benefit the band program.
The MHS Sophomore Class is working with Modern Pastry this holiday season! You can avoid the lines and place an order! They will be selling pies, cannoli kits, cookies, chocolates, and other holiday treats. You can place your orders using this link. Orders will be accepted until 12/14! Pies will be distributed on 12/22 (an early dismissal day) from 12:00pm - 2:00pm outside of the Medford High School library. All proceeds will go toward supporting the Sophomore Class.
Today’s Memo includes:
- Save the Date: Holiday Concerts
- McGlynn Playground Construction
- Early Literacy Screening
- Student Team Building with Waypoint Adventures
- 2024-2025 Kindergarten Information
- Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Save the Date: Holiday Concerts
Mark your calendars now for the Medford middle and high school Band and Orchestra holiday concerts later this month! The Band concert will be held on December 13 at 7:00pm in the Caron Theater at Medford High School, and the Orchestra concert will be on December 14 at 7:00pm in the Caron Theater. Join us for these two fun and festive events!
McGlynn Playground Construction
You may have noticed new construction fencing at the McGlynn school playground. This is the start of building a new, universally accessible schoolyard!
We originally planned to begin construction next spring, but our contractors decided that starting now will ensure that the project is completed on time. Demolition of the current playground will begin next week, on Monday December 4. The playground will be closed to the public during construction. We know this is short notice and an inconvenience to students, staff, and families who use McGlynn outside of school hours. We encourage residents to visit other nearby parks, including Harris, Magoun, Logan, and the newly renovated Morrison playground.
Work hours at the playground will be from about 7am to 3pm, Monday-Friday. Machinery will not be used before 7am. We are working closely with the construction manager to minimize disruption to school pick up and drop off times.
Every effort is being made to support the school while the playground is unavailable. If you have any questions about how this project will affect your student, please contact the McGlynn Elementary School main office at (781) 393-2333.
Early Literacy Screening
Elementary caregivers and families are invited to join Assistant Superintendent Suzanne B Galusi and Literacy Coach Kristin Howell for a presentation on Early Literacy Screening for elementary students. Join us on Wednesday, December 6 at 6:30pm in the McGlynn School Library to learn more about our district’s literacy screening assessment and what it means for your student!
Administering early literacy universal screening is crucial to promoting reading success for every child, and we value our partnership with you. If you have any questions, please reach out to either your elementary school principal or Ms. Galusi.
Student Team Building with Waypoint Adventures
During October and November, two Medford High School classes (Access High School and Project Transition) participated in team-building workshops led by Waypoint Adventures. Fifteen students practiced collaboration skills as they completed a day hike in the Middlesex Fells Reservation, and they demonstrated strength and determination as they learned roped climbing skills at Central Rock Gym in Stoneham. This opportunity was funded by a grant from the Medford Community Fund.
2024-2025 Kindergarten Information
Kindergarten Registration for the 2024-2025 school year opens Tuesday, January 16, 2024.
If you know a caregiver of a child who will be starting kindergarten next year, please let them know they are invited to attend one of the upcoming informational meetings to learn about our Kindergarten program and have the opportunity to ask questions directly:
- Wednesday, January 17, 6:30pm-7:30pm
In-Person meeting in Medford High School Library (please enter via the main door)
- Tuesday, February 27, 6:30pm-7:30pm
Virtual meeting via Zoom
- Thursday, March 28, 6:30pm-7:30pm
In-Person meeting at the Medford High School Library (please enter via the main door)
Child care and interpretation services are available for these meetings! Get more information here.
Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Come work with us! Medford Public Schools has a variety of job openings available now, including teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals and a variety of other roles. Consider applying or forwarding a posting to a worthy candidate!
- World Language Teacher (Various Languages)
- Special Education Teacher – Connections (Elementary)
- Chemistry Teacher (Secondary)
- Vocational School Electricity Teacher
- Speech Language Pathologist (Long-Term Substitute)
- Cafeteria Worker (All Schools)
- Classroom Paraprofessional (All Schools)
- Daily Substitute (All Schools – Great role for retirees or college students)
- December 1 & December 2: Medford Middle School Drama Winter Show “A World of Our Creation: A Vaudeville” at McGlynn Middle School, 7:00pm (tickets $5)
- December 1: The Medford Community Chorale and Youth/Young Adult Chorus Holiday Concert at Medford High School, 7:00pm
- December 2: Frosty Village Craft Fair at Missituk Elementary School, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- December 4: Meeting of the Medford School Committee at Medford City Hall or via Zoom, 6:00pm
- December 5: College Financial Planning Webinar via Zoom, 7:00pm
- December 6: Presentation on Early Literacy Screening for Elementary Caregivers at McGlynn School Library, 6:30pm
- December 7: First Night of Hanukkah
- December 9: Tufts Golf Community Youth Clinic at the Tisch Athletic Center (Registration Form)
- December 12: Moments in Medford 2024 Calendar Launch & Silent Auction at Medford Public Library, 7:00pm
- December 13: Medford Band Holiday Concert in the Caron Theater at Medford High School, 7:00pm
- December 14: Medford Orchestra Holiday Concert in the Caron Theater at Medford High School, 7:00pm
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent