Superintendent's Weekly Memo - May 19
May 19, 2023
A Google Docs version of this memo is available.
Dear Mustang Families,
Since 1949, Mental Health Awareness has been observed in the month of May in the United States. However, the pandemic certainly brought this issue to the forefront. We must work together to fight the stigma, provide support and advocate for policies that support millions of people affected by mental illness. I am pleased that the Medford Public Schools are able to provide a number of resources for students, staff and families to seek support if they need it. As the Mustang Girls Lacrosse Team stated last week, “Mental health is health care” #MoreThanEnough.
Yesterday, Coach Carla Andre accompanied over 25 student athletes in grades 3-12 to Malden to participate in the Special Olympics Day Games. Events included: the 100 yard dash, the turbo javelin, the shot put, the softball toss, the long jump and the high jump. All participants received Special Olympics medals. They were also able to enjoy face painting, dancing, basketball and volleyball games. Congratulations to all of our Mustang athletes!
MHS Mock Trial
Wednesday, the Medford High School Mock Trial Team visited the Woburn District Court where students were fortunate enough to participate in a Q and A session with two judges and several clerk magistrates. They were also able to observe an arraignment session, a motion to exclude evidence and several plea deals. It was an incredibly enriching and productive session! The chief court officer gave the students a tour and explained the programs available to residents of the Commonwealth who face challenges such as indigence, substance abuse and mental health disorders.Through the creation of these types of partnerships, we are able to highlight potential career paths for our seniors.
CCSR World Wildlife Fund
Brooks 4th grade CCSR students, Eli Kahnberry, Clifton Longman-Keene and Trevor Wood, raise $300 for the World Wildlife Fund. They sold coffee, snacks and Gatorade at the local soccer league’s opening day festivities. They did a great job for a great cause!
Elementary School Spring Concerts
I want to congratulate the Brooks, McGlynn, Missituk and Roberts Elementary School’s 4th and 5th grade string orchestras for their wonderful spring concerts this past week. Additionally, the Roberts hand chimes also performed. Bravo to all!
Mustang Boutique - Free Prom Gown Shopping
The Mustang Boutique will be open for free prom gown shopping on Wednesday, May 24th and Thursday, May 25th from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM. No appointment is required!
Medford Family Network
If you are looking for clothing or shoes for your child(ren) age birth to 8, the Medford Family Network has an assortment in our Freebie Foyer, at the family center at Medford High School, 490 Winthrop Street.
Next week we have two great events going on Thursday, May 25th: the Medford Family Network hosts its Parent Cafe from 5:00 - 8:00 PM, which provides all kinds of important information for new families in our district. Please register with Marie Cassidy at email@example.com. Also on May 25th, the Roberts Elementary School’s PTO will present its Art Show from 6:00 - 7:30 PM.
Armed Forces Day
In closing, tomorrow, May 20th, is Armed Forces Day which pays special tribute to the men and women of the Armed Forces. First held in 1950, Armed Forces Day is a joint celebration of all six branches of the U.S. military: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and the newly created Space Force. The day honors all who are currently serving in the U.S. armed forces. As President Kennedy stated back in 1963: “Our Servicemen and women are serving throughout the world as guardians of peace–many of them away from their homes, their friends and their families. They are visible evidence of our determination to meet any threat to the peace with measured strength and high resolve. They are also evidence of a harsh but inescapable truth–that the survival of freedom requires great cost, commitment, and great personal sacrifice.”
Friday, May 19
- McGlynn 5th Grade vs. Teachers Basketball Game - 5:45 PM
- MHS Freshman Formal - 6-9 PM - MHS Lobby
- Andrews Middle School PTO hosts Music Bingo Fundraiser - 7-10 PM - American Legion Hall
Saturday, May 20
- Armed Forces Day
- Huge Multi-Family Yard Sale tomorrow, Saturday, May 20th! RAIN OR SHINE, 9am-1pm at the West Medford Community Center
- Paint Shed - DPW yard - 8 AM - noon
- Family Story Time - Library - (ages 3-7) - 10 AM - 11 AM
- Saturdays with Sarah - MFN - (ages 4+) 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
- Haitian Flag Day Celebration - Library - 2-4 PM
- Mustang Spring Soccer Clinic - at MHS - Free- 5-7 PM
Sunday, May 21
- Tufts University Commencement
Monday, May 22
- Brooks PTO - hosting restaurant fundraiser at The Ford Tavern
Tuesday, May 23
- Brooks PTO - hosting restaurant fundraiser at the Ford Tavern
- MHS Academic Awards - 6 PM - Caron Theater
- McGlynn Middle School PTO - host fundraiser at The Vault Restaurant
- How to Build a Cardboard Canoe - Medford Library - 6-8 PM
- Brooks Estate Lecture - Library - 7 PM
Wednesday, May 24th
- National Missing Children Day - Mass State House - 11AM - 1 PM
- Missituk hosts Spring Concert - 10 AM
- Senior Scholarship Awards Ceremony - 6 PM - Caron Theater
- Mustang Football information night - Andrews School - 6 pm
Thursday, May 25
- Shavuot - a Jewish holiday that begins at sundown and commemorates the revelation of the Torah on Mt. Sinai.
- MFN Presents the Parent Cafe - at the MFN center - 5-8 PM - Registration required!
- National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony for the Andrews Middle School - at the McGlynn Auditorium - 6-7 PM
- Roberts Elementary School’s PTO presents their Art Show - 6-7:30 PM
- M Club Night for Senior Student-Athletes - Caron Theater - 6:00 PM
Have a great weekend!
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent