Superintendent's Weekly Memo - November 17, 2023
Dear Mustang Families,
This week, we were lucky to host a parent webinar with Dr. Elizabeth Englander. Dr. Englander is a nationally recognized expert on bullying and cyberbullying, childhood causes of aggression and abuse, and children's use of technology, and she shared so much useful information for parents, caregivers and educators. Thank you Dr. Englander, and also the City of Medford Office of Prevention and Outreach, for co-hosting this event with Medford Public Schools!
If you did not attend Dr. Englander’s presentation and you would like to watch it, you can view a recording at this link (passcode: F%q0S#z5). Please do not post this link or passcode elsewhere; it is only available to view for a limited time.
Thanksgiving break is approaching fast! In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to thank all parents, caregivers, students, and staff who have contributed to the multiple food drives that took place and are still underway to support our community. I’m most thankful for your continued generosity as a Mustrang community to help others in need. You make our community great! Lastly, don’t forget that Wednesday, November 22 will be an early release day, and schools will be closed on Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24.
Today’s Memo includes:
- Thanksgiving Football
- Speech & Language Staff Attend National Conference
- Registration and Tryouts for Winter Athletics
- Important Reminder: Immunization Deadline Dec. 1
- Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Cheer on your Medford Mustang varsity football team in the annual Thanksgiving Day game against the Malden Tornadoes! This year, the game is at home at Hormel Stadium, with kickoff at 10:00am. Tickets will be sold in advance at the Athletic Office next week ($5/adult, $3/student) and available for purchase at the gate ($5) on the day of the game.
Bundle up in your best Mustang blue and get ready to cheer on the Medford High School Football Team, Cheer Team, and the award-winning Medford Mustang Marching Band in the latest contest of America's second-oldest continuous high school football rivalry. For an amazing 136 years, Medford and Malden have gone head-to-head in Thanksgiving games, and this year looks promising for the Mustangs after another great Fall season!
The Thanksgiving week festivities have already kicked off, with MHS Seniors winning the Mustang Puff flag football game against the juniors yesterday!
Speech and Language Staff Attend National Conference
Medford's Speech-Language Pathologists attended the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention, held in Boston. The ASHA Convention is one of the largest professional development events for audiologists; speech-language pathologists; and speech, language, and hearing scientists. Bringing together approximately 15,000 attendees, the annual Convention offers more than 2,500 sessions eligible for ASHA continuing education credit covering the latest research, clinical skills, and techniques in communication sciences and disorders.
MPS Speech Language staff will share what they learned with one another at upcoming staff meetings. Thanks to all our Medford educators and staff for being lifelong learners and always advancing their professional knowledge and skills!
Registration and Tryouts for Winter Athletics
Middle school students have the opportunity to join the Boys or Girls Basketball teams or to try out for the Girls High School Hockey team. High school students can try out for Boys or Girls Basketball, Cheer, Gymnastics, Boys or Girls Ice Hockey, Indoor Track, Swimming or Wrestling.
Important Reminder: Immunization Deadline Dec. 1
The deadline for student immunizations is December 1, 2023.
If you have been notified by the school nurse that your child is missing required school immunizations, please submit immunization documents to the school as soon as possible. If you need help in finding available immunizations, please contact your school nurse or schedule an appointment with the Medford Board of Health here. Information regarding the requirements for immunizations can be found on the Department of Public Health website.
Students cannot attend school if immunization records are not provided by December 1, 2023. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all students to be immunized in order to attend school.
Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Come work with us! Medford Public Schools has a variety of job openings available now, including teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals and a variety of other roles. Consider applying or forwarding a posting to a worthy candidate!
- World Language Teacher (Various Languages)
- Special Education Teacher – Connections (Elementary)
- Chemistry Teacher (Secondary)
- Vocational School Electricity Teacher
- Speech Language Pathologist (Long-Term Substitute)
- Cafeteria Worker (All Schools)
- Classroom Paraprofessional (All Schools)
- Daily Substitute (All Schools – Great role for retirees or college students)
- November 17 & November 18: MHS Drama Club Presents “The Dining Room” at Caron Theatre, Medford High School, Friday @ 7:00pm and Saturday @ 2:00pm & 7:00pm (tickets $10 at the door)
- November 19: Indoor Farmer's Market at Medford City Hall, 11:00am - 3:00pm (Great for Thanksgiving shopping!)
- November 20: Meeting of the Medford School Committee at Medford City Hall or via Zoom, 6:15pm
- November 22: Early Release Day for All Students (Middle Schools release at 11:30am, all other schools release at 12:00pm)
- November 23: Medford vs. Malden Thanksgiving Football Game at Hormel Stadium, 10:00am (tickets $5 at the gate)
- November 23 & 24: No School, Thanksgiving
- November 29: Medford Winter Extravaganza, 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- December 1: Deadline to Submit Student Immunization Records
Embrace the Holiday season!
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent