Superintendent's Weekly Memo - November 9, 2023
Dear Mustang Families,
Schools are closed tomorrow in order to observe Veterans Day, which falls on Saturday this year. Veterans Day honors all U.S. veterans for their patriotism and willingness to serve for the common good during peace and wartime. This weekend, let’s all take time to consider the service and sacrifice of all veterans, and thank them for their contributions.
Yesterday at Medford High School, students met with active-duty service members and veterans to learn about their military career paths and opportunities. Medford Public Schools is so grateful to the multigenerational group of local heroes who spent the day with students! Most of these veterans are Medford alumni, many of whom now work in the Medford Police and Fire Departments. In fact, the presenters from the Fire Department were called away midday to respond to an emergency–a poignant and valuable reminder that our first responders are vigilantly protecting the community every day. Thank you to all of the active-duty service members, military veterans, and first responders of Medford!
Congratulations to the Medford Mustang Marching Band for placing first at NESBA finals last weekend with a platinum medal! In addition to being the New England Division Two Champs, they also took home an award for best music, best visual, best overall effect, and best colorguard. You can watch the video of Medford’s award-winning performance from last Sunday. This achievement is a first in Medford Band history!
As the busy holiday season approaches, make sure to mark your calendars for Thanksgiving break later this month. Wednesday, November 22 will be an early release day, and schools will be closed on Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24.
Today’s Memo includes:
- Winter Market to Benefit the Middle Schools
- Bullying Webinar for Caregivers & Parents
- Important Reminder: Immunization Deadline Dec. 1
- Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Winter Market to Benefit the Middle Schools
On Saturday, November 11, the Andrews Middle School and McGlynn Middle School Parent Teacher Organizations will host a Winter Market to benefit the middle schools. From 11:00am - 4:00pm, visit the Andrews Middle School to browse over 50 artists and vendors, enter to win raffle prizes, and more!
Bullying Webinar for Caregivers & Parents
Please join Medford Public Schools and the City of Medford's Office of Prevention and Outreach for a Bullying Webinar for Parents & Caregivers at 6:30pm on November 14, 2023.
Dr. Elizabeth Englander is an award-winning author and the founder and Executive Director of the Massachusetts Aggression Reduction Center at Bridgewater State University. As a researcher and a professor of Psychology for almost 30 years, she is a nationally recognized expert in the area of bullying and cyberbullying, childhood causes of aggression and abuse, and children's use of technology.
You can learn more about the event and get the Zoom link here.
Important Reminder: Immunization Deadline Dec. 1
The deadline for student immunizations is December 1, 2023.
If you have been notified by the school nurse that your child is missing required school immunizations, please submit immunization documents to the school as soon as possible. If you need help in finding available immunizations, please contact your school nurse or schedule an appointment with the Medford Board of Health here. Information regarding the requirements for immunizations can be found on the Department of Public Health website.
Students cannot attend school if immunization records are not provided by December 1, 2023. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all students to be immunized in order to attend school.
Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Come work with us! Medford Public Schools has a variety of job openings available now, including teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals and a variety of other roles. Consider applying or forwarding a posting to a worthy candidate!
- World Language Teacher (Various Languages)
- Chemistry Teacher (Secondary)
- Vocational School Electricity Teacher
- Speech Language Pathologist (Long-Term Substitute)
- Cafeteria Worker (All Schools)
- Classroom Paraprofessional (All Schools)
- Daily Substitute (All Schools – Great role for retirees or college students)
- November 10: No School, Veterans Day Observed
- November 11: Andrews & McGlynn Winter Market at Andrews Middle School, 11:00am - 4:00pm
- November 11: Tufts University’s Veterans Day Ceremony at the Memorial Steps, 11:00am
- November 13: Winter Preparedness Event at Medford Public Library, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- November 14: Bullying Webinar for Caregivers (Zoom webinar), 6:30pm - 8:00pm
- November 16: Mystic Project JustFlix Screening at Royall House & Slave Quarters. 6:00pm
- November 20: Meeting of the Medford School Committee, 6:00pm
- November 22: Early Release Day for All Students (Middle Schools release at 11:30am, all other schools release at 12:00pm)
- November 23 & 24: No School, Thanksgiving
Have a wonderful weekend!
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent