Superintendent's Weekly Memo - October 13, 2023
Dear Mustang Families,
At the beginning of this week, I shared some thoughts about the war in Israel with the Medford school community. As this conflict continues to escalate, we should take some time to think about how the news from Israel and Palestine might affect our students.
More and more of the devastation and violence is being shown on social media, from news outlets to individual accounts. Content moderators on many platforms are overwhelmed and ill-equipped, meaning that all social media users are likely to encounter graphic or misleading content. We strongly encourage caregivers of younger students to closely monitor any online activity to ensure that children are not being exposed to inappropriate content. We also agree with advice from experts that older children with access to the internet should be encouraged to be skeptical of videos shared on social media and offered help with evaluating news sources.
We are here for all of our community, especially those with loved ones and friends facing the atrocities of this war firsthand. We strongly condemn the terror attacks perpetrated by Hamas. Moreover, we join our community in grief for the lives broken and lost in the last week.
Today’s Memo includes:
- Brooks Elementary Fall Fest
- Medford Athletes Recognized as Boston Globe Players of the Week
- MHS Open House for Class of 2028
- Free English Classes for Parents and Caregivers of English Learner Students
- Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Brooks Elementary Fall Fest
Brooks Elementary is hosting its 8th annual Fall Fast this Sunday, October 15th from 11:00am to 3:00pm, rain or shine! This event is open to all of Medford and beyond, celebrating the fall season and all of our students with fun, games, rides, food, crafts, music, and more. If the weather is nice, we will hold the event outside on the lower playground and field. If it rains on Sunday, we will be inside and the community will enter the building through the lower playground doors. All are welcome!
Medford Athletes Recognized as Boston Globe Players of the Week
After Mustang Football’s 20-0 victory over Somerville last Thursday, the Boston Globe high school sports section recognized defensive end Sam Nazaire and running back Stevens Exateur as Players of the Week! Congratulations to these two student-athletes and the entire team on a terrific showing.
MHS Open House for Class of 2028
Grade 8 students and their families are invited to attend the Medford High School Open House on Thursday, October 26th from 6:00pm - 8:00pm at MHS. Students can meet the principals, administrators, teachers and current students and ask them questions about their experiences at MHS. There will also be opportunities to visit and tour vocational shops, learn about athletics and extracurricular programs, and enter to win giveaways! More information in English | Plis enfòmasyon an kreyòl | Más información en portugués | Más información en español.
Free English Classes for Parents and Caregivers of English Learner Students
In collaboration with the Welcome Project and Medford Public Library, Medford Public Schools is hosting Free English Classes for Medford Families starting on October 17. Please register for classes using this Google form. Information and Class Schedules are available in multiple languages:
Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Come work with us! Medford Public Schools has a variety of job openings available now, including teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals and a variety of other roles. Consider applying today!
- High School Chemistry Teacher
- Vocational School Electricity Teacher
- Special Education Science Teacher (Secondary)
- Cafeteria Worker (All Schools)
- Classroom Paraprofessional (All Schools)
- Daily Substitute (All Schools)
- October 14: Sarah Bradlee Fulton Day at Salem Street Burying Ground, 10:00am - 12:30pm
- October 14: Harvest Your Energy Festival at Riverbend Park, 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- October 15: Brooks Elementary Fall Fest, 11:00am - 3:00pm
- October 16: Meeting of the Medford School Committee, 6:00pm
- October 17: Parent Workshop: “E-cigarettes and Youth Vaping: What Massachusetts Parents Need to Know” at McGlynn Middle School, 6:30pm
- October 18: Early Release Day for All Students (Middle Schools release at 11:30am, all other schools release at 12:00pm)
- October 25: Rescheduled SEPAC Presentation, 6:30pm on Zoom
- October 26: Medford High School 8th Grade Open House, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Have a wonderful weekend!
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent