Superintendent's Weekly Memo - October 20, 2023
Dear Mustang Families,
As autumn continues and the academic year races forward, we encourage you to check in with your child and their teachers to stay abreast of their academic performance and social-emotional wellbeing. Working together we can provide the necessary support for our student’s long-term success socially and academically. Mustang Pride is built upon our ACES approach - Achievement, Collaboration, Equity, and Support. Through the collaboration of schools, families, students, and the community we can achieve greatness for all our students.
This morning, the student results for last year’s Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) were mailed to families. Caregivers with current Grade 4-10 should expect receiving these results in the mail soon. If you have not received your student’s results by the end of next week, please contact your school’s front office. The following link provides more information and resources for caregivers regarding the MCAS test:
We encourage our families to take advantage of all the community events that are taking place this weekend. Cherish the seasonable weather while we are able to still be quite active outdoors. Please also consider the social-emotional health of your child: in light of the many upsetting events in the news and around the world, continue to be mindful of and attentive to the content that your student may encounter online or on social media. Doing so will help prevent misinformation and protect our students’ mental and emotional health.
Today’s Memo includes:
- This Weekend: Pink Out Tournament & Head of the Charles
- Halloween Costume Swap at Medford Family Network
- MHS Open House for Class of 2028
- Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
This Weekend: Pink Out Tournament & Head of the Charles
Come show support this Saturday, October 21 and Sunday, October 22 at the Girls’ Volleyball Pink Out Tournament! The Pink Out Tournament will be held at the Medford High School gymnasium and the first game will start at 12pm. There will be a bake sale, concession stand, and an area to pick up pre-ordered shirts. All proceeds from the Pink Out Tournament will go towards breast cancer research. Support Mustang Girls’ Volleyball at the Pink Out Tournament!
On Sunday, October 22, cheer on the Medford Mustangs Rowing Team as they compete in the nation's biggest and most prestigious regatta, the Head of the Charles! The Boys U17 boat is set to begin in the 10:00am hour.
Halloween Costume Swap at Medford Family Network
The Medford Family Network is hosting the annual Costume Swap until Tuesday, October 31! Come to the MFN Family Center at Medford High School and pick out a Dress Up Outfit or Costume! MFN has a wide variety of sizes available, from babies to elementary age, in excellent condition. With any questions or to inquire about hours and availability, contact Marie Cassidy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MHS Open House for Class of 2028
Grade 8 students and their families are invited to attend the Medford High School Open House on Thursday, October 26th from 6:00pm - 8:00pm at MHS. Students can meet the principals, administrators, teachers and current students and ask them questions about their experiences at MHS. There will also be opportunities to visit and tour vocational shops, learn about athletics and extracurricular programs, and enter to win giveaways! More information in English | Plis enfòmasyon an kreyòl | Más información en portugués | Más información en español.
Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Come work with us! Medford Public Schools has a variety of job openings available now, including teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals and a variety of other roles. Consider applying today!
Vocational School Electricity Teacher
- Special Education Science Teacher (Secondary)
- Cafeteria Worker (All Schools)
- Classroom Paraprofessional (All Schools)
- Daily Substitute (All Schools)
- October 21: Mystic Project JustFlix Screening at Medford Public Library, 2:30pm
- October 21 & October 22: Girls Volleyball Pink Out Tournament at Medford High School starting at 12:00pm
- October 22: Head of the Charles Regatta – Cheer on your Medford Mustangs as they compete in the nation's biggest and most prestigious regatta!
- October 25: College Fair at Medford High School, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
- College Information Session for Students with IEPs and 504 Accommodation Plans at Medford High School (B319 Science Lecture Hall), 5:30pm - 6:30pm
- October 25: SEPAC Presentation, 6:30pm on Zoom
- October 26: Medford High School Open House for 8th Graders, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Community Halloween Events
Have a wonderful weekend!
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent